Current Fitness Challenges
LMSC Fitness Resources
Most Masters Swimmers participate in swimming for the general health and physical fitness benefits. To enhance this philosophy, Oregon Masters Swimming has a Fitness Committee. This Committee provides information about health and fitness for Masters swimmers. Each month, the Aqua-Master features information from OMS Fitness Co-chairs Aubree Gustafson.
Health & Fitness Articles
The following health and fitness articles appear courtesy of the Aqua Master, newsletter of the Oregon LMSC.
- October 2003 - Alcohol's Role in Performance and Recovery (page 4)
- September 2004 - Hypothermia (page 4)
- August 2004 - Stress (page 8)
- July 2004 - Bananas (page 4)
- May/June 2004 - Caffeine Revisited (page 4)
- April 2004 - Osteoporosis (page 4)
- March 2004 - Play (page 4)
- February 2004 - Breathing (page 4)
- January 2004 - Lane Etiquette (page 4)
- February 2003 - Fast Food if you gotta have it, have these!
- January 2003 - THE "3" IN 2003
- October 2002 - Is It Time to Evaluate Your Life?.
- September 2002 - Bits and Pieces - Interesting Info
USMS Fitness Resources
Pam Himstreet of Oregon Masters Swimming is the National Chairperson of the USMS Fitness Committee. This is the purpose statement of the Fitness Committee as taken from the USMS Web Site. Let her know your ideas for Fitness.
- The state or condition of being fit.
- Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
- SWIMMING for FITNESS; the best way to a healthy exercise routine!
Less than one-third of USMS swimmers identify themselves as "competitors" -- but we all swim because we love swimming and want to be fit. Swimming is one of the most popular forms of aerobic exercise, and it is an excellent activity for anyone who wishes to get fit and stay fit. USMS provides resources and activities to help swimmers maintain a lifelong interest in swimming. The USMS Fitness Committee is dedicated to studying and developing fitness swimming activities for the general membership at the national level. This committee is also dedicated to providing resources to educate adults on the fitness benefits of swimming.